THE ALLSTARS... WHAT A STORY SO FAR
By March 2016, the Allstars had played its 200th live gig, moved into a 100 capacity live venue, travelled Sussex with its own mobile stage, released 100 original songs and had a hugely positive impact on the lives of the Allstars members, their friends and families and the town they live in through music.
So how did we get here? Here is a brief, potted history...
2008 - where it all began
- February - David O'Connell leaves his only ever full time job to concentrate on getting somewhere with his band
- March - David's band splits up
- April - David begins teaching guitar to a particularly driven, talented and creative group of musicians
- September - A benefit gig is planned to raise much needed funds to keep Beach Dreams Festival running. Invited to contribute to the event, David puts together some bands made up from his students and names them 'The Shoreham Beach Allstars'. The collective is renamed 'The Shoreham Allstars' on the suggestion of David's wife, as the initials are cooler
- December 16th - we ran our first Allstars event at The Ropetackle Centre in Shoreham as a fundraiser for the Beach Dreams Festival
2009 - our first encore
- After the success of our first gig we were invited back to the Ropetackle to do it all again
- The first offical Allstars band courses were launched
- A compilation album of original music by young bands was produced for our 1st birthday
- 2009 key bands: The Funky Monkeys, Cody and the Vythons
2010 - gig programme evolves
- The Allstars songwriting courses launched
- Original Allstars Music was set up to to sell the music of the Allstars bands on CD
- First event played outside of Sussex (Celebrate Surrey)
- Odyssey 10 - Tte Allstars play on the O2 Stage at a private school
- First gig played at Shoreham Airport, who knew in a few years time we would be playing there with crowds of 35,000 (Wild Life Festival)
- 2010 key bands/acts: Wookie Weekend, The Funky Monkeys, Blank Revolution, Daniel Steven Walford Caitlan King, Riff Raff, Switch
2011 - guitar orchestra to anti-bullying song
- We launched our first guitar orchestra, 'Guitarchestra', at The Shoreham Centre
- A.P.A. (Allstars Parents’ Association) was created
- Allstars begin running events at Penhill Arts Centre
- Anti-bullying song ‘Let Them Smile’ was written
- First gigs: Shoreham Bonfire Night, Paddle Round The Pier, Shoreham Academy
- Key bands/acts: Wookie Weekend, Blank Revolution, The Funky Monkeys, Daniel Steven Walford, Crylike Jago (formerly Riff Raff), 5050, Switch, Caitlan King
2012 - our own stage at a festival
- Allstars get their own stage at Beach Dreams Festival (The Wax Cornetto Stage)
- Allstars are offered a free 10 tonne HGV which we have great plans to transform in to a mobile stage (later to be known as Melfi)
- To take ownership of the HGV the Allstars had to become a Community Interest Company, so 2012 saw the creation of Original Allstars Music CIC as the holding company for the Allstars
- ’Let Them Smile’, the anti bullying Allstars song, was performed at Shoreham Academy with a choir of 100 local schoolchildren
- Allstars play their 100th event at The Ropetackle Centre
- 2012 key bands/acts: Wookie Weekend, Daniel Steven Walford, Crylike Jago, 5050, Switch, Caitlan King, High Tyde
2013 - introducing Melfi, the mobile stage
- Penhill Arts Centre closes. Allstars begin negotiating immediately to acquire it as a venue
- Bus conversion to mobile stage phase 1 completed
- Mobile stage debuted as second stage at Beach Dreams
- 'Grand Design' song composed by Allstars for the Adur Festival Living Map
- The Allstars bands provide soundtrack for the opening of the Adur Ferry Bridge
- First gigs: Brightona Bikers' Festival
- 2013 key bands/acts: Wookie Weekend, Crylike Jago, Caitlan King, High Tyde, 5050
2014 - 100 songs released and more to come
- Allstars first gigs: Brighton Marathon
- Allstars bands play the Beach Dreams Main Stage
- 100th original song recorded
- Allstars bands play their first national festival (Guilfest)
- The Allstars House Band perform the Brighton Bikers’ Festival theme song in memory of its composer who had passed away
- Second ‘Let Them Smile’ performance at Shoreham Academy
- 2014 key bands: Wookie Weekend, Crylike Jago, Amputhracture, Teenage Circus
2015 - performing at a major UK festival
- Mini-tour of local schools to promote release of ‘Let Them Smile’
- Allstars bands play major UK festival, Wild Life Festival
- Penhill Arts Centre deal agreed to allow the Allstars to run it as a teaching and performance venue
- The ’Allstars Jam Hut’ Beach Dreams second stage first year
- ’Recover Together’ song created in memory of the victims of the Shoreham Airshow disaster and is performed by the Allstar Guitarchestra
- Allstars run Mod Stage at Brighton Bikers' Festival
- 2015 key bands: Wookie Weekend, Deaf Cattle, Hybrid Holiday, The Scheme, Paris Underground, GIGH, The Masterplan
2016 - festival, tours, our own venue and so much more
- First gigs held at the Allstars Penhill Arts Centre
- Allstars tour Belgium
- Second year performing at major UK festival, Wild Life 2016
- ‘Let Them Smile’ anti bullying song/performance returns for the third time
- Allstars play their 200th gig at Brighton Dome
If you are serious about your music, Shoreham Allstars offers the best way to get started.... from joining your first band and writing your first songs to those first live gigs.
- TASTER SESSION. 1 hour session that gives young vocalists, keyboard players, drummers, guitarists, bassist's and other instrumentalists the chance to place in a band and see what all the fuss is about!
- GETTING STARTED. Here is when the fun really begins - your first term. Start learning to play songs of your choice in your first band.
- ALLSTARS COLLECTIVE. Term 1 done, you're now an Allstar. Now we keep developing those skills, working on your set list and you start performing live!
- HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES. Join a guitar orchestra, rehearse on a stage, write & record music... there's lots going on.
- 1-2-1 GUITAR & DRUM TUITION. 1 on 1 guitar, bass and drum lessons. Music tuition for guitarists, bassist's and percussionists with a qualified tutor.
- All of the above gives young musicians the opportunity to play at the live Allstars gigs
Contact us to find out more
JOIN US TODAY
With a new term about to start, this is the perfect time to join the Allstars.
Sign up to the Allstars»
Is the Allstars for you?
Well there is only one way to find out, come and join us for a taster session and see it all for yourself. Fun is almost guaranteed.
200 gigs, 100+ songs
Our bands have released over 100 original songs and played at 200 gigs since 2008. However, we are nowhere finished, so come along and be part of the fun.
Join the Allstars»
WILD LIFE 2017
Shoreham Allstars are at Wild Life for the 3rd year. Find out who else is on the bill.
Wild Life 2017»
FATBOY SLIM VIDEO
Shoreham Allstars are in Fatboy Slim's Wild Life promo video.